An Overview on Stem Cell Knee Therapy Cost in Santa Barbara, CA
Millions of Americans suffer from knee pain each year. Knee pain associated with an injury or degenerative condition can become so severe it limits athletic activities and makes it difficult to complete everyday tasks and work requirements. When knee pain becomes this severe, orthopedic specialists may recommend surgical treatment. Unfortunately, not all patients living in the Santa Barbara, Goleta, Santa Maria and Ventura, California area are ideal candidates or desire to undergo surgery. For these patients, Dr. Jervis Yau, knee specialist, may recommend stem cell knee injections. In the right patient, stem cell knee therapy may be a cost effective way to improve function and decrease pain without the risks, high costs and lengthy rehabilitation associated with surgery.
Stem Cell Knee Injection Overview
Stem cell knee injections are gaining popularity in orthopedic surgery as a non-surgical treatment option for acute and chronic knee pain that limits activities of daily living. Adult stem cell injections are considered safe and effective for patients affected by acute and chronic tendon, muscle and ligament injuries, as well as osteoarthritis.
Stem cells have the natural ability to help the body heal after injury. It also aids in maintenance of healthy tissues through cell turnover during normal day to day life. Two main types of stem cells are currently being utilized in clinical practice.
- Adult stem cells (autologous): harvested from a patient’s pelvis known as bone marrow aspirate concentrate.
- Amniotic stem cells (allograft): harvested from a donor amniotic sac after delivery of the baby.
What to Know about Stem Cell Knee Therapy Cost
A painful knee surgery along with its lengthy rehabilitation is not always the only treatment option for musculoskeletal injuries. Depending on the type of injury its associated symptoms, Dr. Yau may recommend stem cell knee injections when appropriate.
Many patients are curious and have questions about stem cell knee therapy cost. Dr. Yau will take the time with each patient to answer their questions and concerns prior to treatment. Patients do not need to worry about getting unnecessary treatment since Dr. Yau and his team follow strict protocols to ensure proper indications for stem cell knee injections.
These protocols include:
- Performing a thorough physical exam and reviewing all necessary imaging to ensure an accurate diagnosis.
- Stem cells must be harvested from the correct location in a patient’s body (Autograft)
- Stem cells must be transported and drawn up in a sterile environment to reduce risk of infection (Allograft)
- Stem cells must be injected under image guidance into the correct location
- Stem cells must be highly concentrated for maximum benefit
- Strict cleaning and preparation of the injection site to minimize infection risk.
When these protocols are followed, stem cell knee injections are generally effective in most patients. Improvement in pain and function without surgery is the key benefit of stem cell therapy which can often offset the stem cell knee therapy cost.
For additional information on stem cell knee injections, or to discuss stem cell knee therapy cost, please contact Dr. Jervis Yau – knee specialist serving the Santa Barbara, Goleta, Santa Maria and Ventura, California communities.